Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Google Maps Tracks my Social Life

You have to be pleased by the UI and amazed at the speed of Google Maps, but when I searched for my girlfriend's name I instantly got a map ... to my work address. I was, oh, taken aback.

I'm thinking Rob Pike must have come down the chimney at Christmas and implanted little RFD chips in everyone.

I sent Google email, suggesting that it'd be safer to use Google phonebook entries instead. "Look," I reasoned, "what if she dumps me again?"

To show you how good these guys are, here's what you get if you look for kevin fenzi broomfield colorado Once you have the map up, try using your mouse to scroll the map around. You'll need to hold down the left mouse button while you're doing it. Click on one of the locations, too.

Addendum: Many people have asked why there aren't maps of, say, Paris. People have even asked me. I dunno. Ask Google.

It is, after all, only in beta, and I imagine they're starting out easy and working their way outwards from there. In the month I've been watching it, they've added Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Canada. Still no Mexico.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<<Home