Monday, February 07, 2005

Pointing the way

I've been leading a double life for a while now.

For years, I've had a permanent email address that my friends all use. This address is nothing but a forwarding address -- the nice folks who maintain it for me just shepherd my mail along to my ISP-of-the-week.

Most recently, I've been using an IMAP account, so I can get the mail
anywhere, and reading it with Thunderbird.

This one-level-of-indirection approach keeps me from having to send out the my-address-has-changed notes I keep seeing from my friends. One email
address to remember for me.

At the same time, I've been playing with Gmail. Somewhat to my surprise, I love gmail. I actually like the interface better than T-Bird's.
The only thing it lacks is the ability to use vim(1) on messages I'm composing,
but T-Bird doesn't have that, either.

I kept hesitating about moving my pointer, hoping that Gmail would come
out of beta. This morning, I stopped waiting. I asked my forwarding
service to point at my gmail account. The deed is done.

Like everyone else, I have gmail invitations to give away. I see
I currently have fifty. Yes, fifty. If you want one, ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<<Home