Tuesday, March 15, 2005

When Life Gives You Limons, Make Limonade

One night, at a break, I was sitting on the edge of the stage when Randy Barnes, a fine hammered dulcimer player, walked over and sat down next to me. Turning to me, with a serious look on his face, he began,
Dough, I use to buy my beer.
Ray, the guy who pours my beer.
Me, the guy who drinks my beer.
Far, a long way to the john.
So, I need another beer,
La...ger in a frosty mug.
Tea? No thanks. I'll have a beer.
Which all brings us back to
Dough, dough, dough, dough ...
Randy and his wife Carol live in Buena Vista, Colorado. Locals pronounce it "Byoona Vista," or just say "Byunee".

Randy says he's tired of getting told he should say "Bwayna Vista" or "Bwayna Veeesta" by people who moved out to Colorado from Los Angeles. That would be El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula.

"You're from where? Oh! You must mean 'Lows Ahn-heles.'"

And Limon (Colorado) rhymes with Simon, even if that makes your mouth pucker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<<Home