Monday, October 02, 2006

The time machine in my head

Saturday morning, I went to the Denver Libertarian Breakfast (the Le Peep on the corner of Colorado and Mexico, Satudays at 8am. And yes, Saturdays have an 8 in the morning, too.)

I think of myself as a libertarian-leaning Republican. When I take the World's Smallest Political Quiz which Libertarian friends, like David Aitken, hand out I'm always pushed into the Republican quadrant because I really do believe we all have a military obligation.

(I tell leftist friends this and they say, "Oh, yes. I support mandatory universal service in, like, you know, the Job Corps." I respond, "No, I mean I think everyone has the obligation to serve in the military. They shudder and change the subject.)

Still, I figured they wouldn't kick me out, and it was likely to be fun to listen to the conversations. Sure enough, not only was David there, but so were Jed, Richard Combs, and Nick. Bloggers are no saner than anyone else, but at least they're verbal.

Richard and David came in from the parking lot together, with a third guy -- another David. I looked at him, astonished, shook my head, and said, "I know you." I hadn't seen Dave Bryant since about 1970, but I recognized him instantly.

Until right then, he'd been a kid. In that moment his age tripled.

For the rest of breakfast, I sat next to him, watching a teenager wearing the body of a guy in his fifties.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the rest of breakfast, I sat next to him, watching a teenager wearing the body of a guy in his fifties.

That's right. And I sat next to a blonde. [g]

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<<Home