Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Evi comes in for a book session, from Brazil


Evi & Lynda at a book session
Originally uploaded by goyishekop.
Evi Nemeth traded in her career as a math professor in New York, and moved out west, to Colorado to be a ski bum. Then she ran out of money.

Luckily, the university C.S. department was getting its first computer, a 1-Mip VAX 11/780. Evi told them, "You'll need someone to help you with that."

Most people learn how to drive in High School. I went to HS in Spain, and teens didn't drive. When I hit thirty, my wife decided she'd try to teach me.

Don't make that mistake.

She mentioned her frustration while Evi was listening, and Evi said, "I'll teach him." She took me and my wife's old, gray, stick-shift, Toyota Corolla to an empty parking lot, had me drive around it, then directed me down Broadway, and out to her house in the mountains, which included driving across a tiny, wooden bridge.

She said, "Okay. You can drive now."

Now she's sailing, and she needs crew. Just listen:

this is an audio post - click to play

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<<Home