Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Cause of the Month, uh, Block

When I was living in Seattle, my walk home was up a long hill lined with people passing out pamphlets:
"Save the Whales," "Hare Krishna," "Jesus Loves You," "Fight Capitalism," ....

Some folks would take elaborate routes to avoid this gauntlet. Others would be rude, or look the other way.

One day, I discovered my solution: take each pamphlet, then exchange it for the next.

Pamphleteer: "Hare Krishna." [handing me a pamphlet]

Me: "Thanks! Save the Whales." [handing him one back]

Next pamphleteer: "Jesus Loves You." [handing me a pamphlet]

Me: "Thanks! Hare Krishna." [handing her one back]

...

I thought of it as broadening their horizons. Plus, at the end of the line, I'd only ever have one pamphlet to throw out.

I've used this tactic profitably, ever since, at festivals of various sorts where every cause has a table.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<<Home